Ventilator Application of the Passy-Muir® Valve
This webinar reviews the benefits of the Passy-Muir valve, describes assessment, trouble-shooting, and advanced placement techniques, that when implemented in a multi-disciplinary fashion, allows caregivers to successfully place a Passy-Muir valve on the mechanically ventilated adult and pediatric patients. It is recommended that you complete Application of Passy-Muir Swallowing and Speaking Valves prior to registering for this course. After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Review the benefits of early intervention and valve use on the mechanically ventilated adult and pediatric patient.
- Identify the different Passy-Muir Valves, accessories, and adaptors that may be used for in-line ventilator application.
- Understand how to assess baseline mechanical ventilator settings and patient parameters.
- In case study fashion, describe how to: identify and assess appropriate patients prior to Passy-Muir valve placement; assess proper airway size and patency; and place a valve correctly in-line with the ventilator circuit.
- Apply the principals for: common ventilator adjustments that will maintain adequate ventilation with tracheostomy tube cuff deflated, appropriate alarm settings to promote safe use of the valve; and ventilator mode options.
CLICK TO VIEW COURSE
Click the link above to view this course in the Passy-Muir Education Portal
- If you are not logged in to the Education Portal, please do so after clicking the link
- If you do not have an Education Portal account, please create one
- You will be taken to the Course View page for this topic after logging in